Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Tuesday, Dec 06, 2022

Woman living alone dies in fridge short-circuit fire

A 66-year-old woman who was living alone died in a fire caused by a short circuit in her refrigerator at her home in Po Tin Estate in Tuen Mun yesterday.
The fire broke out at around 6.30am on the 14th floor of block four.

Firemen evacuated about 200 people living on the 13th to 15th floors and put out the blaze in around 30 minutes.

The woman, To, sustained burns and was taken unconscious to Tuen Mun Hospital, where she was declared dead. She was seen as friendly but neighbors couldn't recall friends or relatives visiting her in recent years.

Another fire occurred in a village house in Sheung Wo Che village, Sha Tin, yesterday. No one was injured.

The report of white smoke billowing from the No 75 village house came in at 11.43 am.

Fo Tan and Lek Yuen Estate residents posted on social media that they could smell the smoke at their homes. "I can smell it even from Lek Yuen," another said.

Firefighters put out the fire in half an hour. Villagers nearby were evacuated.

The house, once home to two nuns, was made of tin, a villager, Lee, said.

One of the nuns had died many years ago, while the other was found dead in the house over 10 days ago.

Police listed the case as arson and are searching for a middle-aged man.

A third fire saw two motorcycles under a footbridge in Shau Kei Wan destroyed around 4.10pm yesterday.

They are believed to have been abandoned for years. They have been placed under the footbridge near Basel Road, where three other motorcycles owned by a man were parked.

The owner managed to save two of them and firefighters put out the blaze before it spread to the third one.

The owner said his three bikes were worth more than HK$100,000 in total.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Hong Kong News
0:00
×