US health officials on Saturday confirmed an eighth case of the fast-spreading new coronavirus in the United States in a person who had travelled to China.
The latest US patient, who was not identified, is in Massachusetts, a spokeswoman for the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in an emailed statement. The person recently returned from Hubei province in central China, the epicentre of the outbreak. No other details were provided.
Also on Saturday, the Pentagon announced that it would provide housing for up to 1,000 people who may need to be quarantined after arriving from abroad due to the coronavirus.
It said that it had approved a request from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that asked the Pentagon to provide several facilities capable of “housing at least 250 people in individual rooms” until February 29.
The Pentagon said that Defence Department personnel would only provide housing support, while HHS would be responsible for all care and transportation.
The statement added that four military installations had been selected in case they were required, including two in California, one in Colorado, and one in Texas.
The flu-like coronavirus, which is believed to have originated in a market that traded illegally in wildlife in Wuhan, the provincial capital of Hubei, has so far resulted in 259 deaths in China, the World Health Organisation (WHO) confirmed on Saturday.
All but one of the patients in the United States was believed to have contracted the disease while they were travelling in the Wuhan area of China. US officials this week reported the first human-to-human transmission of the disease in the United States in Illinois.
A man in New York City is also suspected of having the coronavirus after returning from China. He was in stable condition at Bellevue Hospital after showing signs of the coronavirus, the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene said. If confirmed, it would be the first instance of the virus in the city.
Nearly 12,000 people have been infected globally, according to the WHO, with all but just over 130 of those cases occurring in China.
Concerns about the spread of the virus spurred the Trump administration to declare a public health emergency and bar entry to the United States of foreign nationals who have recently visited China. Despite that, US health officials have said risks to the United States remain low.
In addition, US citizens who have travelled within the past two weeks to Hubei will be subject to a mandatory quarantine of 14 days, believed to be the incubation period of the virus, officials said.
Americans who visited other parts of mainland China will undergo special health screening upon their return, followed by up to 14 days of “monitored self-quarantine,” under the temporary restrictions.
The first quarantines of US citizens potentially exposed to coronavirus in China began hours before the White House announcement on Friday.
Nearly 200 Americans evacuated earlier this week from Wuhan and voluntarily confined to a California military airbase for 72 hours of health screenings were placed under a mandatory 14-day quarantine on Friday.
It marked the CDC’s first quarantine order in 50 years.
You always miss
100% of the shots
you don’t take