Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Wednesday, Jul 28, 2021

Three more pan-dems granted bail

Three more district councilors among the 47 politicians and activists charged with subversion were granted bail by the high court yesterday, while another councilor had his bail denied.
Kalvin Ho Kai-ming, 32, Sze Tak-loy, 38, Lee Yue-shun and Sam Cheung Ho-sum, both 27, were among 11 defendants for whom the Department of Justice opposed bail earlier granted by chief magistrate Victor So Wai-tak. Cheung remains in custody pending trial.

National security designated judge Esther Toh Lye-ping yesterday rejected the department's bail appeals against Ho, Sze and Lee.

The reasons for her decision will be released later.

According to the bail conditions set by Toh, which were the same as those given by So, Ho was released on HK$30,000 in cash and HK$100,000 in surety, while Sze and Lee were each released on HK$100,000 in cash and HK$100,000 in surety.

They are also restricted from making comments that might be considered a breach of the security law or contacting foreign officials.

They are also barred from taking part in any elections in Hong Kong during their bail and will have to report to the police four times a week. Their travel documents, including BNOs, were confiscated. A home curfew from 12am to 7am was also imposed.

After learning that her husband was granted bail, Sze's wife was seen puffing out her cheeks and showed a grin while signing documents for her husband's bail.

"I would like to show my gratitude to the court for making a fair decision. The whole process of [Sze's] bail was very tortuous for our family," she said outside court.

She also sought to encourage the relatives of other defendants, as she quoted her husband saying: "Only by keeping ourselves healthy can we stand until the day of reunion."

Earlier in the day, Cheung's wife was teary-eyed after Toh refused to grant her husband bail. Before leaving the courtroom, Cheung temporarily took off his mask and said to his wife: "I love you."

The Department of Justice challenged the bail granted to 15 defendants on March 4 by So, but later dropped its appeal against four of them.

After the bail hearings finished yesterday, 11 defendants were allowed to be released on bail pending trial on May 31.

Apart from the three released yesterday, the others include Helena Wong Pik-wan, 61, Cheng Tat-hung, 32, Michael Pang Cheuk-kei, 26, and Ricky Or Yiu-lam, 49, who were granted bail by Toh earlier, as well as district councilors Clarisse Yeung Suet-ying, 34, and Lawrence Lau Wai-chung, 53, activist Hendrick Lui Chi-hang, 38, and Mike Lam King-nam, 32 whose decision the DoJ decided not to appeal against.

Toh also overturned the lower court's previous decision to grant bail to former lawmaker Jeremy Tam Man-ho, 45, Kwok Ka-ki, 59, and district councilor Ng Kin-wai, 25.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Hong Kong News
×