Prince William praises UK's 'ability to pull together' amid coronavirus crisis
Prince William has launched the National Emergencies Trusts’ coronavirus appeal.
The Duke of Cambridge headed campaign will look to raise money to help those most affected by the Covid-19 outbreak.
The trust, created after the 2017 terror attacks in Manchester and London and the Grenfell tower disaster, will work with partner organisations to raise and distribute money to local charities best placed to help those in need. Announcing the new initiative, Prince William said: ‘Whenever and wherever adversity strikes, the people of the UK have a unique ability to pull together.
‘The way that local communities support those affected shows the very best of our values and human nature.
‘The public’s desire to help in the wake of tragedy needs to be managed and channeled in the best possible way which is why the establishment of a national emergencies trust was so important.
‘I said at it’s launch last year that I dreaded the day when it would be needed.
For the latest coronavirus updates and coverage in the UK and around the world click here.
‘Sadly with the outbreak of Covid-19, that day has come faster than any of us would have hoped.
‘But now more than ever I am grateful that the National Emergencies Trust exists.
Read the latest updates: Coronavirus news live
‘It will ensure the support reaches those across the uk who need it most as quickly and efficiently as possible.
‘And it will help to ensure that all our efforts to overcome this challenge are channeled in the best way.’
Coronavirus is affecting both businesses and people across the globe with many suffering, not just physically, but also economically and socially, the charity said.
It wants to help workers struggling to make ends meet as well as the small businesses that are having to close their doors as social distancing and self-isolation come into effect,
The trust has said more information on grant aid and how to apply would be made available from March 23.