Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Thursday, Mar 04, 2021

Pang Yiu-kai, chairman of Hong Kong Tourism Board. File Photo.

Only 3.57 million tourists visited Hong Kong last year

Only 3.57 million tourists visited Hong Kong last year, a 90 percent decrease compared to the year before, which is “unprecedented”, the Tourism Board chairman Pang Yiu-kai said.
Pang spoke on a programme that over 800,000 people were affected by the coronavirus, including workers from aviation, retail, catering and transportation industries.

Pang also hoped to launch travel bubbles with more countries, increasing the number of tourists.

“If the customs resumed as normal, the Greater Bay Area can be promoted, attracting more overseas tourists visiting from Hong Kong to other places, such as Macau, Shenzhen, Foshan and Zhuhai.”

“Vaccination is one of the opportunities to let other countries allow their citizens to travel to Hong Kong,” said Pang.

As for the application “LeaveHomeSafe”, Pang ensured that the application protects the public’s safety, although the application is “a bit annoyed”.

“I believe that tourists visiting Hong Kong would also be willing to use the application to prevent themselves,” said Pang.

The Tourism Board has also launched a program with the Quality Assurance Agency to issue certifications for anti-epidemic measures in the tourist spots.

About 1,500 organizations, including hotels and public transport operators, have joined the program, Pang said.

Meanwhile, lunar new year celebrations, such as fireworks and parades, have also been cancelled.

Pang added the Tourism Board held an online market instead, inviting foreigners to know more about Hong Kong culture. “The virtual Wine & Dine Festival has attracted over 850,000 visitors, among whom 30 percent of them were from overseas.”
Newsletter

Quote of the Day

You always miss
100% of the shots
you don’t take

Related Articles

Hong Kong News
×