Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Sunday, May 22, 2022

New preliminary positive case at party lands more government officials in Penny’s Bay

New preliminary positive case at party lands more government officials in Penny’s Bay

More people, including government officials and lawmakers, were set to be sent into quarantine after a banquet they attended has seen a second preliminary positive Covid case.
It was said that the new preliminary case is Joyce Yeung, an RTHK host of the station’s Putonghua channel. She had attended the banquet on Monday and left at around 8pm that night.

It was understood all 170 guests who attended the banquet were now classified as close contacts of the two suspected case and will have to be sent into the Penny's Bay quarantine center.

Government officials who will be quarantined include Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury Christopher Hui Ching-yu, Police Commissioner Raymond Siu Chak-yee, ICAC Commissioner Simon Peh Yun-lu, undersecretary for constitutional and mainland affairs Clement Woo Kin-man, undersecretary for home affairs Jack Chan Jick-chi, undersecretary for Financial Services and the Treasury Joseph Chan Ho-lim, undersecretary for innovation and technology David Chung Wai-keung and political assistant to secretary for innovation and technology Lillian Cheong Man-lei.

Fifteen lawmakers who attended the banquet were also set to pack their luggage ahead of their 21-day quarantine.

So far three government officials - Secretary for Home Affairs Caspar Tsui Ying-wai, secretary for development's political assistant, Allen Fung Ying-lun, and Immigration Commissioner Au Ka-wang have were sent into the facility to undergo 21 days of quarantine.

There were joined by four lawmakers - Benson Luk Hon-man, Duncan Chiu Tat-kun, Rock Chen Chung-nin, and Wendy Hong Wen, who were classified as close contacts of the preliminary positive case.

Immigration chief Au said on Friday he will be isolated at the Penny's Bay Quarantine Centre. He said he will fully co-operate with the arrangements made by health authorities.

In a statement, the immigration chief said he was at the banquet briefly, leaving immediately after congratulating the host without staying for the meal. He apologised for attending the event.

"Regarding the additional burden to the epidemic prevention work and the disturbance to the public as a result of my personal behaviour, I offer my sincere apology to all people of Hong Kong. I have reflected on this incident and shall be more vigilant in future," he said.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Hong Kong News
×