Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Friday, May 14, 2021

Man died of cardiac arrest 23 days after he took Sinovac jab

Man died of cardiac arrest 23 days after he took Sinovac jab

A 58-year-old Drainage Services Department contact staffer died of cardiac arrest in his office last Thursday, 23 days after he took the Sinovac Covid-19 jab.
The Department of Health did not proactively reveal his death but only confirmed it upon media reports.

A department spokesman said the man, who is a smoker, suffered from breathing difficulties last Thursday and collapsed at his office.

Paramedics found him to have suffered from a cardiac arrest and rushed him to the Caritas Medical Centre in Cheung Sha Wan, where he was certified dead that night.

The spokesman said the man received his first dose of the Beijing-made Sinovac vaccine at Osman Ramju Sadick Memorial Sports Centre in Kwai Fong on March 16, adding his death would be referred to the Expert Committee on Clinical Events Assessment Following Covid-19 Immunisation for review.

Another spokesman from the Drainage Services Department said the man felt unconscious at the department’s Emergency Control Centre around 10pm last Thursday and eventually passed away.

So far, the SAR has seen 16 post-inoculation deaths, including 14 taking CoronaVac by Sinovac and two the German-made Comirnaty by BioNTech/Fosun.

Government advisor David Hui Shu-cheong who is also a member of the post-inoculation event expert committee, this morning revealed another critical case who suffered from serious allergic reactions after taking a BioNTech shot.

Hui said in a radio program yesterday that a 35-year-old woman who received the vaccine at CUHK Medical Centre on March 15.

During the 30-minute rest at the center after her inoculation, she suffered from rashes on her left arm, swollen lips and breathing difficulties. After medics at the site injected adrenaline in her, she was rushed to the Intensive Care Unit of Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin.

“It (the allergic reaction) happened again the next morning. In the end she had taken two adrenaline shots,” Hui said, adding her condition improved and was discharged on March 18.

The woman’s case was mentioned by authorities in a release on March 16, but it only said she was sent to the hospital in a stable condition and “after treatment, she was admitted for observation,” without mentioning she was staying at the ICU.

Hui said her adverse reaction is rare, adding such serious allergy only happens in 4.7 people in every 1 million BioNTech recipients.
Newsletter

Quote of the Day

A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.

Henry Ford
Related Articles

Hong Kong News
×