Hong Kong’s security chief said the makeshift hospital in Lok Ma Chau Loop would be the first to be mobilized once the city’s reverse quarantine scheme commences.
Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu previously floated the idea that would allow travelers entering the mainland to complete a “3+7” quarantine process in Hong Kong.
China's current quarantine policies for travelers from Hong Kong include seven days of compulsory quarantine in designated hotels and three days of self-surveillance home quarantine.
Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung told an interview on Friday morning that authorities are still hammering out details of the reverse quarantine plan.
He noted that the Security Bureau currently manages two quarantine facilities in the city - the Penny's Bay Quarantine Centre and the Kai Tak Quarantine Centre, with the occupancy rate being around 60 percent and 40 percent respectively.
Tang said the six other quarantine facilities in Hong Kong currently put on standby could be mobilized within 24 hours if required.
He stressed the bureau must be ready for any border reopening plans to make sure they have enough personnel to handle border control measures or quarantine-related duties.
Meanwhile, the security chief said 36 people have been taken to the quarantine facilities for violating the city’s Red Code and Amber Code arrangement under the Vaccine
Pass requirement, since the measures kicked in on August 23.