Lam Cheuk-ting returns to court over his July 21 riot charges last year
Former pro-democracy lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting and six others have their bail terms extended after returning to the District Court today over their riot charges on July 21 last year in Yuen Long.
Lam, who was among those injured on the night, and six other men – Yu Ka-ho, 35, Jason Chan Wing-hei, 37, Yip Kam-sing, 31, Kwong Ho-lam, 26, Wan Chung-ming, 48, and Marco Yeung Long, 26 – were said to have taken part in the violence.
They will be answering one joint count of rioting. The offense is punishable by up to 10 years in prison, but sentencing is capped at seven years at the District Court level.
The former lawmaker said before the hearing that he had huge confidence in his substantial legal justification for the case, and is prepared to face the long legal process with the six others.
He said he is outraged, describing this prosecution as Hong Kong’s “most ugly and evil” case in the city’s history, slamming the regime for rewriting history.
The District Judge had adjourned the case to March 23, allowing time for the defendants to get legal advice and assistance.
On the evening of July 21 last year, at least 45 people needed hospital treatment after scores of men rampaged through the Yuen Long MTR station, indiscriminately hitting passengers with sticks and poles.
Lam, who filmed the process, was also one of those beaten up by the white-clad men who stormed the station.
Quote of the Day
The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.