Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Sunday, Sep 26, 2021

June 4 vigil never threatened public safety: Albert Ho

June 4 vigil never threatened public safety: Albert Ho

The June 4 vigil was held peacefully for three decades and never threatened public safety, one of its organizers Albert Ho Chun-yan said during mitigation.
The vice chairman of Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China spoke in District Court today, after pleading guilty to inciting others to join the banned vigil at Victoria Park on June 4 last year and participating in it himself.

During mitigation, Ho said the vigil is organized every year to protect the truth what happened on June 4 and prevent it from being distorted or forgotten.

“In the mainland, open discussion of June 4 has always been forbidden in the public arena. Therefore, the historical question of 'right' or 'wrong' about the 1989 Democracy Movement has been left in the shadow of silence, as if the whole nation is suffering from amnesia about June 4.

"On the other hand, in this small city of Hong Kong, we speak as the conscience for the whole nation, protect the truth of history and the dignity of the people," he said.

For years from 1990 to 2019, the candle light vigil was invariably held on June 4 every year in Victoria Park.

''Every time, the vigil was conducted peacefully and orderly, never causing any threat to public safety or disruption of public order,” he said.

He admitted that the gathering was unauthorized.

“However, we were driven by our consciences and moral commitment to make our best endeavors to maintain this historic tradition of commemorating June 4, remembering the lesson of history and speaking truth to power.”

They engaged in an act of civil disobedience and are willing to accept the legal consequences.

With the alliance mulling over their disbandment and five core members arrested by national security police over the past two days, he left a hopeful note.

“In the times to come, even if the Hong Kong Alliance were to be disbanded and June 4 candle vigil at Victoria Park banned, the commemorate spirit still survives with the candle light illuminated in the hearts of the Hong Kong people on June 4 every year.”

Twelve activists including Ho pleaded guilty to either participating in or inciting others to take part in the unlawful assembly at Victoria Park on June 4 last year.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Hong Kong News
×