July 1 grant variety show at HK Coliseum changed to recorded broadcast
Affected by the Severe Tropical Storm Chaba, several celebration activities of the HKSAR 25th anniversary have to be re-arranged or canceled, including the “Grand Variety Show” that was planned to be held at the Hong Kong Coliseum on Friday night.
The Leisure and Cultural Services Department announced that due to the typhoon, the "Grand Variety Show in celebration of the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to the motherland" originally scheduled to be held at 8pm tonight will be changed to recorded broadcast.
Guests do not need to attend the event, as the department said.
The department said earlier that more than 700 performers will attend the show, which includes renowned singers and artists, three Hong Kong flagship arts groups - Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra, Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra, and Hong Kong Dance Company. The show will also feature performing arts talents, youths coming from different arts and sports organizations, and choir members.
In addition, the multimedia show 'Hong Kong Harbour Fiesta' that features a brand new combination of synchronised, layered light effects criss-crossing Victoria Harbour to celebrate the anniversary of Hong Kong's handover will be suspended tonight.
The Education Bureau also announced classes of all schools are suspended on Friday. Schools should implement contingency measures to ensure the safety of students and ensure that conditions are safe before allowing students to return home.
The Social Welfare Department announces that as Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No. 8 will be issued, welfare service units of the department, centres providing after school care programmes and elderly services centres, which normally operate on Sundays and public holidays, will be closed.