Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Wednesday, Aug 17, 2022

(In pictures) Police step up security after shooting in Central

Over 100 police officers patrolled Lan Kwai Fong on Friday night as they continued to search for gang members involved in a clash where at least two shots were fired in the early hours, leaving a 25-year-old man in serious condition.
With the shootout ringing security alert, large crowds of officers from the organized crime and triad bureau, regional anti-triad unit, and tactical unit were sent to inspect bars and nightclubs in the area and stop and search suspected people.

They also raided several entertainment premises to check their licenses and set up roadblocks to intercept suspicious vehicles overnight.

Officials from the Department of Health were spotted patrolling alongside cops to provide assistance when checking if businesses comply with the Covid curbs.

The clash occurred around 2am Friday as a dashcam video showed eight knife-wielding men arriving on Wyndham Street in two vehicles and attacking a white car that belonged to the rival gang.

Alerted by the attack, the black van behind the white car then rammed into two of the assailants and sped away from the scene.

Yet, the passengers inside the white car seemed prepared for the attack. It was understood that one of them pulled out a handgun and fired at least two shots at the attackers and their vehicles. Shocked by the gunshots, the assailants immediately retreated and ran out of frame.

Police on Friday afternoon confirmed that the clash involved members of two gangs over crime proceeds not split equally.

So far, police have arrested four people for wounding with intent and possessing offensive weapons. The semi-automatic pistol involved has yet to be recovered.

As of 10pm Friday, the 25-year-old man who sustained two shots to his abdomen was in serious condition, while another 30-year-old man sustaining severe head injury was in critical condition.

A 36-year-old man sustained an injury to his feet and was in stable condition.

Related Articles

Hong Kong News