Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Thursday, Jan 27, 2022

Hongkongers rush to get jabbed before vaccine bubble expansion

It was fear that he cannot go “yum cha” at a Chinese restaurant anymore that made an elderly man decide to get vaccinated against Covid-19.
The man, who was jabbed at a mobile vaccination station in Tsing Yi which provides BioNTech jabs to the public on Sunday and Monday, was among people who received their first jab after the government announced to expand the vaccine bubble.

Queues appeared at vaccination centers over the weekend since officials warned that the unvaccinated will be banned from entering restaurants and public venues soon, and Secretary for Food and Health Sophia Chan Siu-chee said the new policy will take effect before Lunar New Year on February 1.

In Hong Kong, many elders have the hobby of eating dim sum at Chinese restaurants every morning. They also eat out with family members on special occasions such as Lunar New Year.

In order to continue their routine, the elderly must get vaccinated unless they have medical proof that they are unfit for jabs.

Apart from the elderly, a housewife opted to get vaccinated before the vaccine bubble is expanded.
She said her life would be greatly affected if the expansion covered wet markets.

After Tsing Yi, the mobile vaccination vehicle will head to Tuen Mun on Tuesday and Wednesday. It will be parked at Luk Tin House, Yan Tin Estate.

According to official statistics, as of 8 pm on Saturday, a total of 18,217 jabs were administered that day – the highest over the past month.

Among them, 7,085 received the first jab. Another 3,171 got their second jab, and 7,961 received their third.

So far over 395,000 people received the booster jab.

From January 1, the government has started allowing all citizens who have completed two doses of Covid-19 vaccines for six months to get a third jab.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Hong Kong News
×