The address had been seen as a key opportunity for Lam to begin to remedy some of the perceived factors behind the unrest, such as widespread inequality and limited access to public housing. But Lam was quickly forced to abandon her speech after repeated jeers and interruptions from lawmakers.
Civic Party lawmaker Tanya Chan accused Lam of having "blood on her hands" and said she had no right to address lawmakers due to the chaos unleashed by Lam's now-shelved extradition bill with China.
"Since the extradition bill was announced, Hong Kong has been on the road of no return," Chan said. She has incited many people to come out to the protests. Why is she coming here to talk about the policy address and govern Hong Kong?"
In a speech later delivered by television, Lam said that "people are asking: will Hong Kong return to normal? Is Hong Kong still a place we can live in peace?"
She condemned the violence and said the government would continue to work to stop it - both through policy action and attempting to address the underlying causes -- but added that "any acts that advocate Hong Kong's independence and threaten the country's sovereignty, security and development interests will not be tolerated."
A pro-democracy lawmaker (behind) holds up a placard in protest as Hong Kong's Chief Executive Carrie Lam (C) walks into the chamber to give her annual policy address at the Legislative Council (Legco) in Hong Kong on October 16, 2019.
Protests which began over the bill have now lasted more than four months, with the movement's demands expanding to include other issues such as an independent investigation into police brutality and democratic reforms.
While protests began peacefully, with hundreds of thousands turning out for anti-extradition bill marches, they have grown increasingly violent. Protesters regularly throw petrol bombs and bricks, and have begun vandalizing subway stations and China-linked businesses, as police respond with tear gas and water cannon.
On Wednesday, police arrested two people on suspicion of making explosives, days after a bomb was set off near a police car following another night of violent protests.
A 23-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy were arrested following late night raids on two flats in Hung Hom, in southern Kowloon. They were charged with "making or possession of explosives," unlawful assembly, and possession of an offensive weapon. Anyone found guilty of possessing explosives deemed likely to "endanger life or to cause serious injury to property" can face up to 20 years in prison.
Police said bomb-making materials, including devices that could be used to remotely activate an explosive, and other weapons were seized in the raids, carried out on "intelligence received" following an apparent attempted bombing of a police car on Sunday.
Suryanto Chin Chiu, superintendent of the Hong Kong Police Explosive Ordnance Disposal Bureau, said that the device, which was hidden a short distance from a police car and controlled by a mobile phone, appeared to be homemade but required a significant amount of time and expertise to put together. No one was reported injured in the blast, which took place on Nathan Road, one of the city's busiest streets.
Speaking Tuesday, Alick McWhirter, senior superintendent of the Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit, said that Sunday's alleged bombing was a "calculated and premeditated attack on the police."
"The blast was felt by officers 10-15 meters (32-49 foot) away - this was not a casual act," he said. "The attack required planning and the attack place was chosen. They waited until officers exited their vehicles (to set off the bomb)."
Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.