Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Sunday, Aug 14, 2022

Hong Kong govt pledges leniency for those with MPF-related consumption voucher rejections

Hong Kong govt pledges leniency for those with MPF-related consumption voucher rejections

The Hong Kong government has pledged to adopt a more relaxed approach in handling appeals for those deemed ineligible for the second installment of the consumption vouchers over MPF-related issues.
The move came as some Hong Kong residents were denied the vouchers after they had previously withdrawn their MPF contributions but have later moved back to the city.

Speaking on a radio program on Friday, Jessie Wong Hok-ling, head of the budget and tax policy unit of the Financial Secretary's Office, said applicants who had since returned to Hong Kong can apply for review with other supporting documents.

She said the supporting documentation can be rent records, credit card bills, or medical certificates issued by public hospitals.

She noted that authorities will adopt a more reasonable and lenient approach in handling the appeals and will notify applicants of the result within six weeks.

Wong stressed that their access to personal information is limited as some government departments cannot share information, such as sensitive data, with the Inland Revenue Department.

Authorities have earlier advised people who wish to appeal to download the application form for review and return the completed form together with a copy of the SMS notification to the consumption voucher secretariat.

People were also reminded to submit their review applications within 14 days of receiving SMS notifications, and it will take about six weeks for them receive an outcome.

The vouchers will be distributed from August 7 in phases, depending on the stored-value platform.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Hong Kong News
0:00
×