Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Saturday, Jul 24, 2021

Health secretary urges the public to take the jab

Health secretary urges the public to take the jab

Secretary for Food and Health Sophia Chan Siu-chee yesterday said that over 13,600 people have taken their first dose of Sinovac’s CoronaVac vaccine and called for citizens to get inoculated as soon as possible.
This comes as authorities will start the second batch of online bookings for Sinovac vaccines 9am tomorrow, to offer the shots at eight vaccination centers and 18 Hospital Authority clinics until March 26 for five priority groups -- citizens above 60, medics, cross-border workers, public service officers and care homes staffers.

Elderly and disabled residents of care homes will be inoculated by outreach teams.

The new round of registration has 200,000 quota, compared with 70,000 fully booked within 16 hours in the first batch of registration last week.

Priority groups can also receive the Sinovac jabs at private doctors on Tuesday at the earliest, as the government will transport the shots to private clinics from today to Wednesday.

Under the vaccination program, private doctors offer the jab free, with a government subsidy of HK$80 for each dose administered, and an additional HK$40 upon completion of the second dose 28 days apart. The doctors are not supposed to charge anything extra.

On the European-made BioNTech/Fosun Comirnaty vaccine whose first batch of 585,000 shots arrived in Hong Kong last Saturday, sources said they will be opened for online booking mid-week and possibly rolled out in around 20 vaccination centers in the coming weekend.

Dates will be spelled out when authorities finish checking the vaccines and prepare for the thawing procedure.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Hong Kong News
×