"Drunken chicken” at Tuen Mun restaurant found to contain Salmonella
A sample of drunken chicken from Dab-pa Bistro, a Chinese restaurant at Tuen Mun, was found to contain the pathogen Salmonella.
A spokesman at the Centre for Food Safety of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department announced today said they tested a sample of the drunken chicken and detected Salmonella in the 25 gram sample.
It breached Microbiological Guidelines for Food, which states that Salmonella should not be detected in 25g of a ready-to-eat food sample.
The center informed the restaurant of the unsatisfactory test results and instructed it to stop selling the food immediately.
They also sent staff to inspect the food premises, provided food safety and hygiene education to the person-in-charge and staff, as well as requested them to review and improve the production process and to conduct thorough cleaning and disinfection.
According to the Public Health and Municipal Services Ordinance, all food sold in Hong Kong, regardless of imported or locally produced, must be fit for human consumption. An offender is liable to a fine of up to HK$50,000 and imprisonment for six months.
"Salmonella infection may cause fever and gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea. The effects on infants, young children, the elderly and persons with a weak immune system could be more severe and may even lead to death," said the spokesperson.