Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Thursday, May 19, 2022

Defendant in toddler kidnap case granted bail

A mainland man allegedly involved in last month’s kidnapping case in Pok Fu Lam was granted bail for HK$10,000 but slapped with harsh conditions including being banned from leaving Hong Kong and getting near to the Residence Bel-air, the residency of the victim, while pending for court mention in March.
A 19-month-old girl and her 39-year-old Filipina helper were dragged onto a black private car near their Pok Fu Lam home last month, but the two were rescued by villagers three hours after being kidnapped and kept bound in a container in Pat Heung in the New Territories.

The two victims were sent to hospital for treatments for minor injuries on their hands, which were red and swollen from being tied, and they were discharged on the same day.

Upon in-depth investigation from the Hong Kong Island Regional Crime Unit, the force have arrested a mainland man holding a Two-way Entry Permit in Tin Shui Wai district on Monday afternoon (Jan 3), and charged him with a count of forcible taking or detention of a person contrary to section 42 of the Offences Against the Person Ordinance.

Wang Jiankun, 41, on Wednesday appeared in Eastern Magistrates' Courts before principal magistrate Ada Yim Shun-yee.

Thre jobless Wang is accused of forcefully taking away and detain X against her will with intent to procure a ransom or benefit for her liberation, together with Ho Lin-chun and another male at an unnamed road near No.700 Victoria Road on December 8.

Upon the prosecution’s request, Yim agreed to adjourn the case to March 4 for mention so police can conduct further investigations on the case, including examining the defendants’ mobile phone and carrying out DNA tests.

Wang was granted a cash bail of HK$10,000, but he must surrender all his travel documents within 24 hours, as he was banned from leaving Hong Kong. He also has to report to the police twice a week, and banned from harassing the prosecution’s witnesses or getting near the vicinity of Residence Bel-air in Pok Fu Lam.

Meanwhile, Ho, 42, has appeared in Kwun Tong Magistrates’ Courts last month, after being charged with a count of forcible taking or detention of a person. Ho was remanded until March 4 pending further investigation by police.

Related Articles

Hong Kong News