Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Thursday, Aug 11, 2022

Cops gun for triad catch with $250,000 offer

A HK$250,000 reward has been issued for information about a Central machete attack on Friday that ended in gunshots with the police making finding the firearm that was used a top priority.
Police commissioner Raymond Siu Chak-yee, speaking after a Northern district council meeting yesterday, said the reward is only one of the force's strategies in the hunt for at least two attackers now that five suspects have been arrested.

He confirmed that the shooting was related to illegal activities that resulted in a quarrel between two triads, but he believed the assault had nothing to do with any possible terrorist attacks on Hong Kong during its 25th handover anniversary on July 1.

"We haven't recovered the gun [that was used in the attack], which is one of the major focus of our investigation," he said.

He called for people to cooperate with the police and report witness accounts or information about the shooting, as well as whereabouts of the gun and suspects.

A reward notice was put up on the police website on Monday night.

"At about 2.39am on Friday June 10, 2022, seven males attacked another party's vehicle convoy with machetes outside 34 Wyndham Street," it wrote.

"The suspect, believed to be a party inside the vehicle under attack, used a firearm to discharge one shot at a male. The male was injured."

"The reward will be paid, either in full or pro-rata, to a member of the public, or apportioned among members of the public, giving information within the period specified in this notice leading to the arrest and satisfactory prosecution of the culprit(s)," the notice said.

Explaining the definition of "satisfactory prosecution," police said the arrested must be found to "have a case to answer" in the courts.

The reward will remain valid for a year and expire on June 12 next year.

News of the reward came as the fourth defendant appeared in Eastern courts before principal magistrate Ada Yim Shun-yee.

Unemployed Pakistani Gulfam Muhammad, 36, was brought to the court on one joint count of attempted wounding with intent and one count of possession of offensive weapon, namely eight machetes and a knife.

He will remain in correctional custody until bail proceedings on Friday.

Nepalese construction worker, 25-year-old Gurung Anish, was shot in the abdomen. He was in a stable condition at a hospital and will appear in court on Friday.

He also faced the joint count of attempted wounding with intent and one count of possession of an offensive weapon. The other three defendants - jobless local Kwok Tin-wik, 24, unemployed Nepalese Gurung Suman, 23, and Pakistani merchant Javed Shahid, 42 - appeared in court on Monday.

Related Articles

Hong Kong News