Hong Kong News

Nonpartisan, Noncommercial, unconstrained.
Thursday, Sep 29, 2022

Car chase ends in fiery wreckage

A private car crashed through the windows of an industrial building in Sheung Shui and burst into flames at the end of a dramatic high-speed chase with the police in the early hours of yesterday.
The driver, Law, 33, was arrested for five offenses, including dangerous driving during his disqualification period.

With hand and leg injuries, he was sent to North District Hospital for treatment.

At around 2am yesterday, New Territories north traffic officers patrolled the streets with an unmarked vehicle to combat driving under the influence.

Officers then spotted a suspicious red Volkswagen at the intersection of Luen Hing and Wo Tai streets in Sheung Shui.

The driver ignored officers' instructions to stop on Fan Leng Lau Road and began to accelerate.

The driver and police officers then engaged in a high-speed chase before the two vehicles collided at the intersection of Lok Yip Road and Yip Wo Street.

The impact sent the Volkswagen smashing into the pedestrian island in the middle of the road that launched the vehicle into the air.

It proceeded to hit a flower bed and hurtled an industrial building nearby, smashing through the windows and dangling momentarily from the window frame before it burst into flames.

After colliding with Law's vehicle, the police vehicle also lost control and crashed into an empty tour coach parked on the side of the road before hitting a stone pillar.

The traffic officer was not injured and managed to arrest Law for dangerous driving, driving during a license suspension and without third-party insurance.

The driver refused to perform a breath test and a rapid oral fluid test, which is a preliminary drug test.

The front and left sections of the unmarked police vehicle were damaged while the red vehicle lost its front bumper. The tour coach also sustained damage to its right front portion.

Related Articles

Hong Kong News